tightVNC vs ultraVNC, and disable properties

William Hooper whooper@freeshell.org
Fri May 2 17:30:01 2003

David Thomas said:
> Mr Hooper,
> Since you seem to be the guru of VNC, and I thank you for when you helped
> me, I believe you did on an internet question and logging into NT when it
> is not logged in.

That's all well and good, but please use the lists.  That is what the
lists are here for (Sorry if that sounds harsh, but you are the second
person in two or three days).  Now I have to be rude and copy both lists
on the answer so that it can be archived.

> So what is the diff between the tightVNC and ultraVNC?

Good question.  I currently don't use either.  A glance at the UltraVNC
site lists all the "improvements" they have made.  It looks you would be
most interested in the "Video Hook Driver".

> I guess what I want
> to improve as any would is the slowness of the remote pc's screen as you
> do stuff on their pc. Anyone would like it faster, fast as if you are
> sitting right at it. Does UltraVNC do this better than tight or not?

The only way to tell for *your situation* is to test them both.  They are
both free so it will only cost you the time to do it.

> Last question, I can't figure out how to disable the properties so people
> cant change the settings once I have installed it on their pc. I could not
> find where you put the 0 at to do this, I went to the correct location in
> the registy:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ORL\WinVNC3\<username> and it said if you dont
> have a username it will be system. When I got there there is no username,
> have vnc running on my pc and nothing of a username in that area, it is
> default that is after WinVNC3, how do
> I do this? In the right hand column under the name column there is nothing
> that has to do with properties to disable as well. Thank you for your
> help.
> Dave

The docs seem a little confusing on this, so I did a test.  The VNC page
says that "AllowProperties" is a "Local per-user setting", so if you
wanted to set it *on a per user basis*, then you would look at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ORL\WinVNC3\<username>.  If you want to
disable it for everyone, the important part is "Local per-user settings.
These override the local default user settings."  This means if you want
to turn it off for all users, then enable it for some users you would
disable in the "Local Default User Settings", then enable in the "Local
per-user settings".

So in summary, you disable "AllowProperties" by creating a DWORD in
HKLM\Software\ORL\WinVNC3\Default with the value of "0", then you can
allow certain users (say administrator) the ability to change the
Properties by creating a DWORD "AllowProperties" in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ORL\WinVNC3\administrator (changing username
as appropriate) with the value "1".

Again, I'm glad to help, but please use the lists so everyone can benefit.
--
William Hooper